IS HUMAN FOOD TOXIC TO DOGS?
There are many people that give their dogs food scraps and do not even know the risks of doing so. Other than the reason that is most obvious to some, turning them into beggars of whatever you are eating, there are some things that we, as humans consume, that can kill our dogs.
For me, I do not want to have a dog watch me eat and be sitting there drooling while I am cooking or eating.
Therefore, my dogs do not-ever-get human food except for raw eggs added to their food (occasionally) or the cottage cheese/plain yogurt that I may feed to a picky whelping mom.
Let’s face it—dogs are not known for being fussy eaters, at least not most of them. Some dogs will eat anything and everything they can get into their mouth. This isn’t a big problem with many human foods, but there are a few that could be potentially fatal to your dog.
The Holidays Are Here: What Holiday Foods and Supplies Are Harmful To Your Dog
So most of us know about all the human foods that are dangerous to our dog’s health, Right? (If not see below)
But did you know that there are several foods and products that might just be on your dinner plate or sitting around your house somewhere?
Our friends at Your Dog Advisor, have written an amazingly informative article including the holiday foods and products that are around your house during this time of the year, that could be harmful to your dog!
It’s pretty awesome! I never knew Eggnog was bad for your pup until I read their article! THANKS GUYS
“The holidays are one of the busiest times of the year for veterinarians. With the temptation of toxic treats, dangerous décor, and poisonous plants, the potential for a mishap skyrockets. To make sure the holidays are worry-free for you and your dog, here are twelve dog foods to avoid.”
Go give it a read! You won’t be disappointed!
Human food that is or can be very harmful to a dog are as follows:
- Chocolate (especially dark/ baking chocolate/cocoa powder)
- Nuts & Seeds (While most will only cause discomfort and possible vomiting, seeds such as apple seeds can be fatal)
- Any COOKED animal bones (Chicken bones are another hazard to dogs, as are those of turkey and duck. These bones tend to shatter, and the sharp pieces can poke a hole in your dog’s stomach or intestine or get lodged somewhere.)
- Fruit pits -like peaches-cherries-apricots
- Alcohol-should be obvious but not to everyone!
- Artificial sweeteners or products containing them.
- Grapes & raisins
- Corn ON THE COB—the COB can be swallowed and become and obstruction that the dogs body is incapable of breaking down or passing
Human foods that should be limited with dogs;
- Citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, limes)
- Berries -seedless
- Salmon/sardines – no seasoning on either
- Peanut butter
- Unsalted Popcorn
- Plain yogurt-no artificial sweeteners
- Cooked but unseasoned chicken, ham, turkey, pork, and fish NO BONES if cooked!
Dogs are known for eating many things a human stomach cannot handle. This, however, does not mean they can eat all a human can. To be safe, make sure foods are not left where your dog can discover them. The most innocent looking item could be the one that harms or even kills your dog. A few minutes of caution can save a lifetime of sadness should you lose your dog.